One of the most important aspects of our health deals with our posture. Posture is affected each an everyday no matter what we are doing. As you work at your desk, you may notice that your shoulders are starting to round forward a little bit, you may be slouching and putting more tension on your low back, and your head may be leaning forward which also puts tension on your posterior neck muscles.
Being conscious about our posture can be a huge help when it comes to our health. By acknowledging our posture throughout the day, we can work to make it better. We can sit up, we can place our computers at eye level, and we can get up and walk around during the day if our job requires us to be seated.
Reasons to have good posture:
- Decreases the stress on the ligaments holding the joints of the spine together
- Prevents the spine from becoming fixed in abnormal positions
- Muscles are more efficient and use less energy which reduces muscle fatigue
- Prevents strain or overuse problems
- Posture will help with healthier appearance
- Keeps bones and joints in the correct alignment so that muscles are being used properly